- Wind that Shakes the Barley Digital
Wind that Shakes the Barley Digital
The Wind That Shakes the Barley, originally released in 1977 on eastern Kentucky's June Appal label, was one of the first all-hammer dulcimer albums in the United States. What it did was expose the most adventurous explorations of the dulcimer up to that time. John McCutcheon, on this his second recording, established himself as one of the most eclectic musicians of the folk music revival. Already a well-known multi-instrumentalist, his expertise and imagination on the hammer dulcimer caused one French periodical to hail this recording as "a quantum leap in dulcimer playing." Since then, McCutcheon has released over thirty other albums of traditional and original music, award winning family recordings, instructional methods, books and, of course, other hammer dulcimer albums. Wind That Shakes the Barley, however, remains a classic recording and an essential part of the modern folk music library.
You have 2 options for downloading this album.
1) Mp3 files. These are smaller files, more quickly downloaded, and take up less space on your devices. This is what almost all downloads are from everywhere.
2) Wav files. These are larger, full-range audio files, like you would get on a CD. They'll take longer to download and will take up more space. These are rarely offered as download files.
So why are we offering both? Because John works hard to get his albums sounding great and the compression used on mp3 files erases much of the fine tuning. John hates mp3's. Most musicians do. Yeah, we know it's kinda snobbish, but ears are what a musician is paid for, huh?
If you don't want to choose, you can have both. Listen to the mp3's on your mobile devices and burn a CD with the wav files for the total listening experience. With our compliments.
Thanks for your interest, thanks for being careful, and thanks for helping us all get through this with our souls intact.
- St. Anne's Reel, Cricket on the Hearth, Kitchen Girl, Mississippi Sawyer 4:06
- Jesus, Joy of Man's Desiring 2:14
- Who Will Sing for Me? 3:18
- Dallas Rag 2:53
- Planxty George Brabazon, Si Bheag Si Mhor 5:47
- Carter Store Medley: Wildwood Flower, Red Wing, Wake Up Susan, Temperance Reel 3:56
- Sculley's Reel, Morrison's Jig 3:56
- If I Were a Featherbed 2:44
- Wind that Shakes the Barley 3:30
- Greensleeves 1:56
- Every Bush and Tree 2:57
- Hangman's Reel, Campbell's Farewell to Red Gap 4:51
- Sally in the Garden, Wild Rose of the Mountain 4:10