Winter Solstice Digital
This classic 1984 album is McCutcheon's lovely set of hammer dulcimer arrangements of songs for Christmas, Chanukah and the New Year's Season. With help from members of the Washington Bach Consort and the group Trapezoid, John takes us on a musical journey through many lands and cultures, all in the holiday spirit. "Christmas in the Trenches" first appeared on this recording.
"The numbers featuring dulcimer and fiddle are as elegant and lovely as the sight of fresh snow on a winter's night."
"One of the Top Ten Christmas albums of all time!" -Baltimore Sun
This is a pay-what-you-will download. Knowing that there are many who’ve lost their jobs and their incomes, as well as many who are economically unphased by this current situation, please…help yourself to the music if you cannot afford to buy it, but please be generous if you can. It’s entirely up to you.
You have 2 options for downloading this album.
1) Mp3 files. These are smaller files, more quickly downloaded, and take up less space on your devices. This is what almost all downloads are from everywhere.
2) Wav files. These are larger, full-range audio files, like you would get on a CD. They'll take longer to download and will take up more space. These are rarely offered as download files.
So why are we offering both? Because John works hard to get his albums sounding great and the compression used on mp3 files erases much of the fine tuning. John hates mp3's. Most musicians do. Yeah, we know it's kinda snobbish, but ears are what a musician is paid for, huh?
If you don't want to choose, you can have both. Listen to the mp3's on your mobile devices and burn a CD with the wav files for the total listening experience. With our compliments.
Thanks for your interest, thanks for being careful, and thanks for helping us all get through this with our souls intact.
- Christmas Day Ida Moarnin/Un Flambeau, Jeanette, Isabella
- Erev Shel Shoshanim (Josef Hader)
- Willie’s Waltz (John McCutcheon)
- Christmas in the Trenches (John McCutcheon)
- Star in the East
- Old Christmas Morning/Breaking Up Christmas
- Jesus, Jesus, Rest Your Head
- For Unto Us a Child Is Born (GF Handel)
- Huron Carol
- Detroit, December (Si Kahn)
- Down in Yon Forest/New Year’s Eve (John McCutcheon)